Two Roads.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, And sorry I could not travel both And be one traveler, long I stood And looked down one as far as I could To where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, And having perhaps the better claim, Because it was grassy and wanted wear; Though as for that the passing there Had worn them really about the same, And both that morning equally lay In leaves no step had trodden black. Oh, I kept the first for another day! Yet knowing how way leads on to way, I doubted if I should ever come back. I shall be telling this with a sigh Somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Inbetweens...

I am beginning to learn to appreciate what I have come to call the "in-betweens". Let me explain... Life is a series of moments, of events. These can be easily remembered and seen in things like a blog post, a journal entry, and mostly in photographs. It is what we talk about with friends when we are gathered for a friendly dinner or on the phone with long distance relatives. These moments are snapshots that pinpoint progress on this path called life, but what about everything else?
Everything else is what I am referring to as the "in-betweens". The mundane everyday life. The waking up, the gym, the house chores, the car washes, the daily meals...all of this that helps us define and comprise our lives is, in my opinion, too often forgotten.
The in-betweens are the majority of our journeys in life. They allow us to really get to know the people we are choosing to surround ourselves with and help us realize our potential and quiet character. I am learning that starting to recognize these in-betweens allows us a greater reflection for which way we are walking in life as well as who is coming with us.
If someone is tolerable in only the grand moments of your life, they probably aren't there for the right reasons. But if they are there day in and day out and there is still mutual respect, love and honesty then they are worth the effort. I have also noticed that giving more recognition to these in-betweens allows one to create bigger moments. I think this is because in retrospect it gives us permission to not only dream bigger but plan for it better. Dreams must have a plan of attack in order for them to achieve reality.
That isn't to say things always go according to plan, but that is when we can take the in-betweens to re-strategize. I am learning. And it a process full of failure and frustration, but without accepting and embracing the in-betweens we miss out on so much of our own lives. Only living for moments leaves us tired, wanting and wondering if there is more to life...I believe there is. I believe the in-betweens are important.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. The in betweens are very important. It's not just the grand events in our life that can be used to track our journey, but also the little things that may seem insignificant at first. I'm glad that you are beginning to appreciate these seemingly mundane moments. You have been through so much and I am glad that you are able to find things in your life that you are able to be thankful for and to admire. Miss you and take care.

    "It's the little things in life..."

    Matt R.

    ReplyDelete